Tuesday, April 12, 2011

ridiculous


That's right, every once in a while you think ya let's do it. Let's take our kids out to eat. Many thoughts run through my head on the way to the restaurant, like sweet there will be no mess for me to clean up, no supper for me to make, we will all eat whatever we want. Oh and not to mention we are going out with Ryan's sister and fiancee so obviously we will be engaging in some good dinner conversation. Right? So we get there. Don't worry we did of course choose our restaurant based on the kid factor. In fact, they even sat us in the same seats as last time, oh joy the corner back by the kitchen where all the kid families get to go. I actually don't mind, I don't have time to apologize to the couple who may get an animal cracker tossed in their direction.

I know I'm making this a big deal, and really we have 2 kids.... and 4 adults this time. But, really when it comes time to eat those other 2 adults are out and are doing exactly what they came to do eat. So we sit down. Sadie finds her seat, gets the crayons out and begins to colour away she is gold right now. Ryan acknowledges her beautiful artwork here and there and she is great. The waiter comes out and she is ready to order, a chocolate milk and french fries and ketchup. Today she gets exactly what she wants a plate of that. We get drinks order our food, and kid #2 is pretty much spent at this point. I have been throwing every sort of snack/food at her, she eats one and throws another on the ground. Awesome haven't even got my food yet. Oh well I will move on to toys, wipes, soothers anything to entertain Hannah, I desperately want to just give in and give her the shiny knife and fork to play with, but I resist. Out comes my food and of course the race begins, who can eat faster, Ryan or I. First one done relives the other one and takes over the entertaining. Then an act of desperation on my part I toss a napkin in Hannah's direction. Hilarious. She is now the entertainment. I can say peek a boo and eat and the same time. ahhhhh




Sadie is loving it too. Wahoo.


This is what we do and sometimes it seems a little crazy and a lot messy, sometimes it seems like we are doing something right and we all eat and enjoy. Occasionally I burst a little with mom pride and hold back my beeming smile when we leave and the couple by us comments on how cute our kids are and I feel like the cutest little family of four.



6 comments:

Brooke said...

Good thing Sadie got chocolate milk and not one of those special apple juices. Looks like fun.

Jaime said...

I always feel sorry for the poor busboy that has to clean up after us when we go out to eat!

Just Rhonda said...

That's why we only take out kids out to crappy places like Denny's hahahahaha

Dorienne said...

So true about the apple juice!

Way to go! Taking kids out to eat can be a challenge. 9/10 our kids rock! We were at the Keg a few weeks ago and when a hostess brought a couple over to a table next to ours, they scoffed and asked for a new table! How rude! Can't say I blame them, but it's the Keg, not The Ranche or Palliser etc...

Mindi said...

Where have I been? It's like I've never seen any of this before! I just spent 20 minutes reading your blog!

Em and Tom said...

Love it!