Saturday, November 14, 2009

the fun mom

Hmmm if this kid could remember her life so far what would she remember?
I remember when I was little & dreamed of being a mom one day, (I'm sure I'm not the only one right?) I was sure I would be the "fun mum." I envisioned a constant laughter in the home, dirty kids who played outside all day with me, the housework would still get done because it would be so fun to do together, grocery shopping would be an adventure and we would stop for suckers or ice cream, my husband would come home and adore me and the children, supper would be full of fun conversation, new beautiful artwork would cover the fridge, my kids would be best friends. At the end of the day they would happily run to bed exhausted and anticipate tomorrows new adventure.
So if you can believe it my motherhood dream has slightly changed. It's not as dreamy and glamorous as I once imagined, but I do love it. Many days are spent doing the routine life things and I forget to make laundry and bathroom cleaning exciting.
I read Alysha's post a while back & it made me think it can be fun for everyone when you say YES to your kids instead of no. When I think of my childhood I must have had a lot of yes' from my mom, and now I have a bazillion fun memories. To name a few: trick or treating in the summer, dying my hair with kool -aid, getting seriously covered in mud, painting my room, drawing on my walls, jumping off the roof onto the tramp. My mom maybe didn't knowingly say yes to all of them, but it all turned out ok. Would I say yes to every desire of a 2 year old? Nope. But some times the price ya pay to be the cool/fun mom real isn't that bad. I'm afraid the steaks will get higher too soon. So a messy face, kitchen clean up, maybe a bath it's totally worth it.





Don't even start with the fun dad business. Does it not seem that Dads do all the fun stuff? Ryan took Sadie to the movies and a little lunch date. How fun is that? I was feeling slightly left out, until I took off & enjoyed the afternoon to myself, & I remembered Sadie & I do fun stuff together all the time, it's just mixed in with the diaper changes, grocery shopping and all that stuff.

13 comments:

Em and Tom said...

Suz
I needed this post!
I had so much fun at your parents house! I was around for most of those situations. We also had more than one pudding fight, ate all of your moms groceries all the time, and dressed up in her old dresses on numerous occasions. I need to remember that with my boys. Layla is so easy to play with cause she doesn't "seek and destroy," but the thing is, I was a lot like the boys. I get stuck in the "responsible" mode too much.
Thanks for the stroll down memory lane.
loveya

Mindi said...

There's NO WAY Jack would sit through a movie, but good for Ryan for doing that. Seems I spend SO much time with Jack, that we forget those little times. Although my previous posts talk about us going to McDonalds alot! Such a cute picture of her Sus, she's getting so big!

LindsayB said...

ah memories! i'm sure mom didn't say yes to dying your hair did she? i know she did try to talk me out of dying mine with red kool aid, but i don't recall a definite no. we had a great childhood. i know you are the fun aunt, that's for sure! how fun for sadie and YOU for the afternoon! i let the kids paints lots lately, i'm fun right?! mom bought alli playdough for her birthday, so haev to do that now too. i guess that's her way of still saying yes!

lynz said...

amen! the "yes" reminder is always a good one, so thanks for that chickee and love the chocolate covered face pictures :) she's getting so big!

Tyler and Kristin Smith said...

I'm still learning how to say "no" to people, and now you're telling me to start saying yes!
Actually, I agree whole-heartedly.
Sometimes yes is more difficult, but happiness/memories are worth it. I loved this post!

Jaime said...

Wow, a movie and a lunch! Go Ryan. Love this post, and always love seeing pictures of Sadie, she is getting so grown up!

Carla McDaniel said...

This was a great post!!! :) thanks

houseofhud said...

I love your posts!

How did Sadie do in the movie?

Candice said...

Cute post Susie.....being a mom is so much fun and I'm sure you are that fun mom too! Sadie looks so much like you, I love it! And yes, my little girl does look just like me too....it is like looking in a mirror! :-)
Enjoy those toddler years!

motherofangels said...

I love this! I never realized how tiring it is to be the FUN MOM!!! I would say my mom was fun, I want my kids to think I am too... Maybe it is worth you sanity to be that for your kids :)

Alysha Sladek said...

she's so cute! great post. nice to have a little time to yourself :)

Jacklyn said...

If I think of a fun Mom I totally think of you Sus, seriously I loved this post, soo cute and ps CONGRATS on the new BAB!!

Brandy said...

i love it... those are the best pics!