Wednesday, February 24, 2010

BAD idea


You gotta have at least one or two least favorite chores to do, right? So the other day I decided to do some of the dreaded ironing. For the most part this consists of Ryan's dress shirts. I don't know if anyone else is like me but if at all possible I'd rather not waste "my free time" at night or during a nap to do the dreaded task. I pulled out the iron and Sadie immediately started saying "no, no" like she read my mind. Then she saw some Styrofoam packaging and started poking, clawing & picking at it. I SERIOUSLY thought sweet I bet she will be entertained by this for a bit and I'll get the job done. I totally just watched (& ironed) as she made a complete mess and had a lot of fun. Harmless right? Don't get me wrong I knew I would have to clean it up, but I for real thought NO BIGGIE, I'll whip out a vacuum and woola it would be clean in no time and completely worth the mess. I finished & I got out the vacuum, then the broom, the shark, the hand held. UGGHHH Those little Styrofoam balls were EVERYWHERE & were so clingy. So it was total disaster, BAD idea. The truth is I'm still picking some stray ones up.

My finished project. yeah!
Sadie's freaking disaster, the picture doesn't do it justice. Although it is a little embarrassing how messy the room is too.

I need some GOOD ideas. Sadie doesn't eat, for real blame me, blame Ryan (he will never admit it but he is kinda picky- he refers to it as preferences.) It is true invite him over for dinner and he will eat whatever is served no questions, but it may not be what he "prefers." I say Sadie has his picky eating habits only he is not even picky compared to her. Most days I push it outta mind, but when I think about it or see other kids eat everything off their plates. I remember ahh yes lucky me, my baby wasn't a dream sleeper, and now my toddler is so not the greatest eater. Thank goodness she's got her looks. he he jk. It would be easier to make a list of things Sadie does eat than what she doesn't eat. Hasn't eaten vegetables in who knows how long, meat is tricky, I can sneak it in sometimes, but sometimes she spits it out. I try no snacks in hopes if I starve her she will eat whatever is served. But day after day I lose the battle. We've tried the dessert tactic, and as much as she LOVES the sweet stuff in the end she will hold out. She usually just walks away from her dinner & dessert. So I keep hoping one day it will all change or at very least I have high hopes of how I will train the next one. Anyways I don't want to rant for too long, just been thinking about it, and that's about it.

14 comments:

Alysha Sladek said...

YIKES! I hate those styrofoam things! Will's pretty picky too. But he's SLOWLY coming around. Pancakes, french toast, the noodles from chicken noodle soup... that's about it so far. He can't have much dairy (if any at all) or most berries, so it's tricky. GOOD LUCK!!

Melanie said...

seriously, Ethan has eaten NOTHING in 48 hours, I am wondering when to turn myself in to social services. Let me know if you figure it out

Just Rhonda said...

oh wow that is a MESS!!!! That stuff is the worst to clean up!!!! You KNOW I know about picky eaters. As long as she isn't losing weight, don't stress over it too much. And keep offering new foods with ONE thing she will eat on her plate without making a big deal out of it. LEARN from my mistakes!!!! That's what I've learned over the past 7 years.

Carla McDaniel said...

Susie...what a good mom you are to let her play and make a mess while you iron Ryan's dress shirts. I am with you...I am not an ironer and don't even feel guilty about not doing it. I do lots of other things, but I avoid that like the plague. I have done it maybe 5 times in the whole 14 years we've been married. :) hahaha, just not my thing. But the times I've done it, he has truly appreciated it because he know how I hate it. They look great by the way. Good job!!!

Mindi said...

Jack is the worst eater! I honestly don't know what to tell you. i just put little bits of stuff infront of him, or give him the 'run-by-feeding'!

LindsayB said...

i swear the clinic job ruined us! i hate ironing too. and sorry, you know my kids, more vegetables please. i totally did everything right, hahaha. but after having sadie for a week i can understand that it is HARD. i would say she holds one other characteristic of her dad, should we call it stubborn or determined!

lynz said...

i don't know about not eating anything, but i love the deceptively delicious book with ways to sneak in good stuff for beckam's pickiness. good luck with that and here's hoping you get a better eater with the next one :)

Jaime said...

Brody goes on and off with good/bad eating. I figure he'll eat when he is hungry and I try not to make him something else when he won't eat what we are having for dinner. Although, if he hasn't eaten all day, I always cave and make him mac and cheese. World's greateset mom, I know.

Brooke said...

I agree with Lins blame on the clinic I hate ironing (Brett does his own and all my clothes are dried and hung so I don't have too).
I probably already told you this, but Ellyn Satters books are the best. As long as she's growing, don't worry about because all you can do is offer the food. Try to have her take a "thank-you bite" of each food. Sometimes it helps to stay away from bribing and 3 more bites until your done as this reinforces that the food is a punishment. Shesh, too long.

Jackie said...

I enjoyed reading all the comments about picky eaters. My little Jenna won't eat much either, I know how you feel! I have no real advice...haven't figured it out yet. Good to know I'm not alone!

I love that you let her make that mess...sometimes you just need to get a job done! Looks like she enjoyed herself!

Jacklyn said...

Luke is like Sadie he just really does not care about food and if I try to starve him he just holds out so let me tell you I feel your pain and then Lily comes along and she will eat ANYTHING seriously could not be more different. Here's to your next one

whitney said...

Oh I feel your pain! You know I am a huge picky eater. I try and try but I just can't like veggies.
Roman is worse than me. Maybe once or twice a month I can convince him to eat the frozen mixed veggies. And Finn was my awesome eater, and now won't eat a thing. It stresses me out daily. Let me know if you ever discover the secret!
A girl I work with went to a peds conference and one of the classes was on picky eaters. They said people who are picky eaters have different taste buds - more intense. So everything Ro, Sadie, Ryan and I taste is apparently more intense and tasteful, both good and bad.

Amanda Bourne said...

She is really cute and I am sure that she appreciated you being so willing to let her explore the world of styrofoam - hopefully she will not want to do it again any time soon.

Brandy said...

you're such a nice wife... i don't iron shirts... and i've totally banned styrofoam from my house!