Monday, February 9, 2009

short but SWEET!


The weekends always seem too short, but even shorter when it is a weekend away with no kid. Ryan's mom was the hero that stepped in last minute and came up to stay with Sadie. Giving Ryan & I the chance to go to his work retreat at Lake Louise kid free. It was so nice and super fun to kind of remember what we could do with no kids. Sadly for me I still had a hard time staying up too late, and even worse I seriously couldn't sleep in past 7:00. Given the chance again I think I could improve.


The place we stayed was beautiful. Just slightly out of our league, we felt silly using valet parking (have you seen the luxury vehicles we roll in), but a fun perk. It was perfect winter weather we went ice skating, checked out ice sculptures, and went on a hike, ate delicious food and I got to know some of the lawyers Ryan works with. Now I have a harder time not liking them and calling them slave drivers as of course they are all very nice to talk to. Some of them had their kids with them and I think it is always so refreshing to see "big time" lawyers who work ridiculously long, hard hours, just be good fun dads.


I forget what going on a hike with Ryan is like, when it's just us two. I think you learn a lot about the type of person by how they hike. We started out at a good pace and were enjoying the scenery, nature, quiet, and how lucky we are to live close to stuff like this. This is totally my style of hiking I guess I am closer to the stop and smell the roses kinda girl. After hiking a bit further it was all about the pace, how much time we could do this in, we need to set a goal... you get the idea this it TOTAL Ryan. There came a point where we both thought do we have time to finish the hike? Ryan thought maybe we should turn around at a certain time like (4:00) I didn't want to rip myself off of the satisfaction of finishing the hike. So he agreed and I may have regretted this idea. As the rest of the hike he was hot on my heals, pep talking and pushing me up the hike. In the end we made it to the snow covered lake. Then we turned around and pretty much ran down, right after Ryan set the time when we had to be down. Lucky we made it just in time, about half the time it took us to get up.
Cheesy. But this is my victory at the top of the hike.

We got back in time to celebrate Ryan's moms birthday with her. I can't thank her enough for coming up and giving up her weekend to entertain Sadie all day long. It would have been nice if Ryan's dad could have come up too. He is such an early riser, and then I wouldn't have felt so bad when she had to get up at 5:30am with Sadie.

10 comments:

Brittany said...

How fun...I need to do that more often. Sadie is so cute...at least you have a darling face to wake up to every morning. So what was your final time on the hike?hehe

Ashley Dawn said...

Was the picture of the hotel the one you stayed in?? I've walked through there wondering who on earth would ever be able to afford such a place. That's AWESOME. I'm glad you got to get away, so jealous - but what a special treat!!

LindsayB said...

ahhhh the mazda. if i was on the hike, ryan and i would have been in a silent competition the whole time as usual and i would have kicked his butt as usual. as IF you got to stay there!

Jaime said...

Susie, your hair looks like it is getting super long, are you growing it out again? Glad you guys got a weekend away, looks like fun!

Carla McDaniel said...

so glad you were able to get away together. it makes all the difference. when you don't get to do it often, you forget the fun you have together.
the pictures are gorgeous.

Alysha Sladek said...

I'm soooo glad you were able to do that! Everyone needs kid free time :) Hooray for Ryan's mom - good job gramma! I can't believe you went hiking in the winter! Although, you probably wouldn't even catch me doing it in the summer either.... well, MAYBE...

Oler Family said...

What a fun weekend..How cute are you in your pink gloves and hat?

Sim said...

love your blog!! and yes of course you are the friend i was speaking of!! how funny! your weekend looks like it was amazing, i love banff and hiking (well, light hiking, I'm not really hardcore...definitely more a stop and smell the roses girl too!!)

Jess said...

Looks like so much fun. Kid free evenings and nights are such a treat. You have an awesome mother in law it sounds like.

Christal said...

What a nice break! What a great MIL too! Its always nice to get out and have some couple time!