Tuesday, September 8, 2009

little victory

When it comes to being a domestic housewife that are a lot of things I come up short on. Most of them are in the kitchen. I keep waiting for the day that the magic cooking wand is waved and I am a kitchen goddess. I've created my fair share of excuses along the way (none of which included, "well my my mom was a kitchen failure," nope she fed me well). First of all I was a student living on my own and nobody to impress and only myself to feed, I survived. Then I was a newly wed & inherited all sorts of kitchen tools, still nothing. Then I was staying at home with Sadie, surely the delicious meal planning would begin and sweet smells would be lofting from my kitchen, nope. It's been a good 5 years of me trying to cook and even bake and still not found my groove. The good news is I have a lot of years ahead of me to work on it.
You like the apron? Don't worry I didn't sew it my crafty sil Rhonda made it. Yep, she is amazing.

There is so many things I have yet to do in my own kitchen: bake bread, make jam, can anything and the list goes on. One thing I have tried to do many times & failed miserably is make good chocolate chip cookies, you know the ones you crave. UNTIL today my streak ended. I don't know what I did differently but they worked I got yet another new recipe from bakerella. I'm not sure what made the difference this time. I just got more and more giddy as I pulled out yet another perfect batch from the oven. Either way I am pretty much beside myself waiting for Ryan to come home and see what I made. He has told me to give up on making them previously. So if you're in the neighborhood please stop by I will gladly invite you in for cookies and milk. mmmm
I know to some of you this sounds ridiculous, but whatever go back to your crafty craft room and your perfect Martha Stewart kitchen and do your thing. I'll probably just be sitting here dunking cookies and milk.

On the topic of delicious food. My friend Carla has an amazing catering business. I can't lie I have never actually eaten her amazing food, but I have heard many times how fabulous she is at this fine art. She now offers classes too, I'm thinking I need to sign myself up. If it goes good I'm pretty sure Ryan will sign me up again and again (remember I have a long ways to go). I would love to go to her class she is a HOOT to be around she is so full of energy and I'm sure I would walk away a better person if not a better cook. Right now she has a giveaway for a FREE cooking class, so go check it out.

17 comments:

Alysha Sladek said...

can I have some cookies??? ;) they look really good. wish I was in the neighborhood to stop by for some. dang girl - move closer!!

Ashley Dawn said...

Well done!! We're pretty close, I'm staying at my moms right now....well, until tomorrow morning at 7:30 - grrr. Close, but well done. Hooray for small (or huge) victories in the kitchen.

LindsayB said...

i neeeed to be there right now. you KNOW i am right with you on the cookies. i just suck at cookies. i have actually thought about doing a post like this before, but i have never made cookies good enough to do it. i have tried so many recipes. derek tells me to keep trying, he thinks someday i'll get it. i have to go buy pilsbury every once and a while to get my cookie fix. i hate it when people are like oh this recipe was just from the bag of chocolate chips like it's no big deal, and i'm like yeah, made that 100 times and they do not taste like this! bakerella here i come, actually never mind, i'll just make alli and james ask mom to make some. at least i make bread and jam!

Just Rhonda said...

:) The cookies look great!! Nice work. And how fun would those classes be??? And thanks for the shout out :)

Oler Family said...

yumm! Is there anything better than warm cookies and milk? I don't think so!

Sim said...

oooooooh i hope there's some left over!! haha!! lets do cooking classes! if there's anyone to make you feel better about your cooking/baking skills it's me...my cookies come from pillsbury!! haha!!

Jackie said...

Great job on the cookies! Yummmy! I checked out your friends blog and she looks very talented! If I was in Calgary I'd be all over the draw for the lessons!

Anonymous said...

so funny! go back to your craft craft room made me die!

Jill said...

Yay, Sus! Good for you! Can you please send me a cookie, maybe ten?

houseofhud said...

You should have told me you made cookies! I'll be by your house first thing tomorrow morning to have some...if there are any left!

Carla McDaniel said...

love ya Susie!!!! those cookies look sooooo delicious!!!! way to go. :)

Christy and Brett Bevans said...

I love Bakerella! I will have to try that recipe. They look good.

Jacklyn said...

haha Sus, so funny. I can make pretty good cookies but to be quite honest I CAN NOT MAKE PANCAKES. Sure I make them and my kids eat them, but seriously they are pathedic. Good for you though on trying again I have the habit of failing once and then never trying again. But if I ever do perfect something we always say that "We could make this if someone came over" Like it's past the teat if we could serve it to others hahah. Anyway good job and PS I love NY ????

Jacklyn said...

oh yah I say that the trick to good cookies is Real butter. No Marg or Crisco crap just good old BUTTER. But that might just be me

KellyLady said...

congrats on the cookie success!

Jaime said...

I'm with you on the domestic housewife bit. I don't can, make bread, craft etc, etc. Good job on the cookies, they look great!

Jess said...

It looks like you have become a great cookie maker. They look good to me.