Monday, May 11, 2009

More Girls, More Fun

Last weekend Ryan had to head back to Canada for the week. I knew this was coming and I knew that New York was too big of city for Sadie & I to be just the 2 of us in.... boring. So we had some friends come and join us. We couldn't have been happier, and had more fun. One of my best friends Abby came out to visit. I LOVE this girl. We have known each other forever now. We've lived together, road tripped together, done some of the craziest fun things together, no matter what we do together it is F.U.N and memorable!
Abby is due with her first baby (girl) at the end of June. Being this preggo did not stop us from seeing the sights of New York. I still can't believe how much walking she did and seriously never complained, we just loved checking out everything we possibly could together.

We totally hit up some Broadway shows. One night we managed to get my cousin Jason (quite possibly my fav cousin now) to come up from Jersey to babysit Sadie, while we went out. We saw Billy Elliot, which was AMAZING. The dancing, choreography, the music, and the singing were all fabulous. After the show we stopped at Roxys to pick up some cheesecake to bring home. We were cruising down Broadway just chatting and reliving the great moments of the show (the gay friend was a serious show stealer.. no surprise), and just relishing in our Broadway high, when all of the sudden pitter patter, it started raining. We turned the corner and tried to pick up our pace (picture a pregnant lady trying to run faster is very funny) in seconds it was a serious DOWN POUR of rain. We were only 2 blocks from home so we had to just run for it. All of the sudden it was like we stopped getting wet and the sweetest man had come to our rescue with his big umbrella. Our conversation went like this: "THANK YOU, THANK YOU so much. We had no idea it was going to rain, we didn't even think to bring our umbrella." Man: "yea, me neither till 5 minutes ago when I bought this" Us: "You have no idea how glad we are you came, thank you, thank you" man: "don't worry, it won't rain all the time" he walked us right to our apartment. New Yorkers are some of the nicest people around.
I cannot tell you how many times someone offered up a seat for Abby, or me(with Sadie) in the subway. There have been so many men and even some women offer to help carry Sadie in her stroller up the stairs at the subway stations. We even took them up on it, how awesome is it to see 2 young strong men carry Sadie & her stroller up the steps and we just followed behind. It makes me smile just thinking about it.
Ellie, another best friend took the plunge and made the trip up here too. I'm so glad she did. It was a BIG deal for her to come and to her to leave her little 1 year old girl behind (who she hasn't left for more than a few hours). I'm going to have to try this sometime soon with Sadie. I know it was worth it for her because there were only a few phone calls home and NO tears of missing Elizabeth. Yeah, for Sadie she was cute enough for Ellie to get her fill of cute little girls, and New York was amazing enough to distract her from her little girl and hubby at home.

Our trip across Brooklyn Bridge. Their last day I managed to get a Sadie free day and we went to SOHO and Chinatown. Soho was fun, cute, and trendy, almost too trendy. We walked in and out of this store that is supposed to be all the rage, and we just left reminiscing about all the sweet styles of the 80's and not sure we can embrace the jean jumpsuits, florescent, acid wash all over again. I'm telling ya it's totally coming back. Chinatown was hilarious, what an experience. We wanted to get some purses. The first shop we walk in and look at a few and then 2 seconds later the lady is saying "you open too many, no good, out, no good customer," then she literally pushed Abby out. There were tons of people whispering, "handbags, coach, prada, gucci" then if you look at them they are like follow me....down the street, round the corner, down the street, and into a basement, then you will see purses. It was funny at first, and then annoying to walk all that way. So Abby with child would just stop and say "how far?" Sometimes they would just show us pictures and then grab it away when they saw something suspicious. After a couple of not good enough knock offs we hit the jackpot. We all walked away with at least a purse, and couldn't have been happier about it. We are pretty sure we worked they guy for a sweet deal.


We took the ferry out to Staten Island to see the Statue of Liberty, Sadie is clearly not interested.


The Naked Cowboy in Times Square. I have heard of this guy, he is famous around here. This is my first encounter with him, I'm glad Abby was with me to feel his soft skin and share a butt grab from him.

We went to Brooklyn to the Botanical Gardens, it was so AMAZING. I felt like I left the city, and it was truly awesome to take continuous breaths of FRESH air. The Cherry Blossoms trees were perfect, the pictures don't do them justice. We couldn't get enough of them. The blossoms had just bloomed and were literally falling while we were there, a bit of heaven I think so.
Our last night we hit up just one more Broadway show, The Little Mermaid. It was so fun and very cool effects. I had to send them off to see In the Heights on Broadway, because it is my favorite Broadway show, it did not disappoint, they loved it.

Looking at rainy times square still makes me love it, I swear I can feel the energy from this picture. Normally when it's rainy, I just spend the day inside, but with Abby here that was not an option. I'm so glad experiencing the rain in New York is all part of the experience, and it wasn't that bad. Although when Ellie was here we did have a bad encounter with rain. We came out of the Met and felt like 2 drops of rain, we were prepared so we started putting on our jackets, and covering Sadie and getting our umbrellas. Before our umbrellas were even open the wind came up and the rain came DOWN. It was crazy, we saw a bus and tried to make the run all 10 steps but for some reason we missed it, so we waited 10 seconds saw one more stop and jumped on to get out of the rain. Where the bus was going hardly mattered at that point. I can't believe how soaking wet we got, it was ridiculous.

I love Girls Trips! I am soo glad that Abby & Ellie made it it out here. What would I do without you girls. Love you. A shout out to Jen, who is normally a part of our girls trips. We wish didn't have to be so responsible and work, sheesh.
I am realizing I have taken a lot of pictures since we have been here so after a request from my dad I started a flikr account and it is super easy to upload lots of photos there. So for our real big fans you can check out more here.

10 comments:

Jacklyn said...

ohh too fun. And not to be rude but I don't know how regular life blog is ever going to compare with all of this. One big giant PARTY wish I was there!

Christy and Brett Bevans said...

Ok, so fun to have your girlfriends come visit.

Kate got kicked out of one of those stores in Chinatown too. Asked not to ever come back.

I love those people whispering "Coach, gucci, prada...". I felt like it was ringing in my ears all day.

Mindi said...

That's awesome that they came to hang out. I want to come so bad, but I'm afraid Jack would be WAY too much for Sadie to handle! Would be fun though!

whitney said...

SO much fun that they could come visit!
Loving all the pictures, going to have to check out your flikr account.
And I think I need to send you to China town to get me a bag or two before you come home.

Just Rhonda said...

sounds like so much FUN!!!!!

Jess said...

Love love love wish I could come and visit. What an adventure you are having. It is so cool that so many of your friends have been able to visit. Have fun!!!

Jess said...

Love love love wish I could come and visit. What an adventure you are having. It is so cool that so many of your friends have been able to visit. Have fun!!!

Alysha Sladek said...

oh my goodness i'm SOOO jealous. I'm glad you guys had so much fun!!!!! i can't wait for you to get back - i miss you! love ALL the pictures. you're talented little lady.

The Bullknitter said...

Ah, shoot. I missed the naked cowboy? I'm so going back.

Brandy said...

that is so fun!!!