Tuesday, April 7, 2009

the Glitz & Glam

Guess what? I am still a mom. I knew I would still be a mom when we moved here, but I was holding out hope that it might be just a little more glamorous or magical. But, alas here I am doing the regular feed me, entertain me, pay attention to me, clean up after me routine. Don't get me wrong I love it, but I still have 'those days' where we cry over spilled milk, have laundry to do, groceries to buy and carry home. I don't mean or want to sound negative because we still get days where we can walk and walk and don't need a single toy to be entertained, just staring and pointing at people on the sidewalk is suffecient. We are awaiting the day we get to brush shoulders with a famous celeb. We walk in Central Park where we meet up with strangers and leave and have to say good bye to new friends. So far the people here are really quite friendly and helpful. Like the time on the street where I overhead a tourist ask a local which way to 52nd Street, as he stood between 50th and 51st Street. He just simply gave him directions, instead of, "are you an idiot" I also think it helps that everywhere I go I am pushing my way through with the cutest little girl.

So what do will fill our days with, what do they look like? Sometimes the same as our days back home, and sometimes we are both so exhausted at the end of the day because we can't believe what we've seen and done in this busy city. Now, what does our apartment look like? Tiny. I am guessing it is around 500 sq. feet. Here is a sneak peek into our new little home.

This is the view out our window. After our first night here we haven't opened our windows, but I could swear they are. The noise from the traffic and people is LOUD and seriously at ALL hours. I think the quietest time of the day is probably around 9:00a.m.


This is as soon as you walk into our apartment, kitchen to the right, bathroom to the left. I guess the beauty of it all is how convenietnly close everything is.

Here it is the studio apartment.


Just another view of the same room, I'm trying to make it seem like there is more to show but when you live in a 0 bedroom apartment - I mean studio apartment (that sounds way better) what can you do.


The sweet deal. It's a 2 for 1. This lovely space interchanges as kitchen and Sadie's bedroom.


Another sweet selling feature would be the dishwasher, it doubles as the obvious dishwasher, but also a crib toy. I have shoved her to this side of the kitchen and hope we can manage to keep her away from the stove dials a mere 8 inches away.

DIRTY LAUNDRY....
It is definetly going around, and I love it. Everyone is partaking in the "slacker mom revolution," I think Lindsay started it, but Brittany and Whitney have joined and so the airing of our dirty laundry continues. We all have it. I don't know if I can be so bold as some and let it all out. I am always curious what do other mom's really do all day, myself included. Not so I can judge them just to see oh so that is how you make a meal, or oh, your house isn't always perfect. I guess it makes me feel better that I am not the only mother out there feeling inadequate at times. I am already feeling a closer bond with these not so perfect moms out there. THANK YOU!
I think I have a "just roll with it" attitude a lot of times. At times this is very good. When somebody says something that could offend, it doesn't it just rolls right off me. My child has chocolate all over their face, we just go out anyway (if you're lucky we'll share it). Woops, supper time and I don't have any supper plans we're good with a quick PBJ fix. No time for a shower today, oh well tomorrow is a new day. On the other hand it may not be so great when I keep my child out late therefore missing bath nights for too many days in a row. Sometimes rolling with it means a whole day goes by and even the really important things on the list get missed. I put Sadie to bed at a friends so we can hang out (no babysitter) and then we have to wake her and take her out in the freezing cold to go home,.Way too many times when I've been invited to somebodys house for a fun get together and may have had intentions to make something delicious I find myself scrambling for the next best thing I can find at the grocery store or even worse the Mac's. So that's how I roll, and for the most part I'm good with it.
My New York stinky laundry
Since we now share a common hallway with neighbors it is killing me to listen to Sadie cry it out at bedtime or in the middle of the night. I duck and cringe in the hallway afraid that people are thinking, "there is the kid that can scream so freakin loud" I even walked the opposite way when I got off the elevator hoping the guy wouldn't see where I live.
Since I have been here I don't even want to know how many PBJ sandwiches I have made for Sadie. If you know me this is a BIG DEAL, I have eaten 2 PBJ's myself, this is huge. I haven't quite gotten into the whole groceries and cooking thing here. We haven't been here 2 weeks yet & I need to go restock the jam.
More dirty laundry, this is like the stain that will not go away. Getting Sadie dressed, especially since we have moved here is such an ordeal. She screams, squirms, goes rigid, and pulls her shirt off. It's brutal I keep hoping it's some phase of rebellion since we've moved here and that it will end soon. (the only reason she is kind of smiling is from the blinking light of the camera)

Bad picture but they are both on timers, and I wasn't about to do it again. Brushing her teeth is going to be the death of me. It's the same thing all over again. I have tried to be nice and make it fun, but no more mrs. nice mom we are out to have some pearly whites so I pin her down for a whole 20 seconds (it sure seems longer at the time) and get it done. Pure Torture for the both of us. I don't even want to know what my neighbors are thinking, as she screams and I relentlessly BRUSH.

So open up your curtains (or blogs) and let us see how imperfect your life is, and be proud of it. Because perfect just isn't as fun. What do you do with your time? What do you think about when there isn't anything to think about? What's your 'useless' pastime? What are you doing?!"


Lastly, my latest find mint and coconut chocolate kisses. I am addicted, and now stash them by my bed, since access to the kitchen closes as soon as Sadie goes down.

Shhesh marathon post. Goodnight all.

14 comments:

Just Rhonda said...

man your place IS small! that picture of the Saide's "room" makes me laugh :)

LindsayB said...

the slacker mom revolution continues! yeehaw! you ate peanut butter TWICE?! oh heavens. maybe try cheese whiz! hehehe. i hope ryan likes pyjama parties! the quiet don't wake saide parties that is. me and brooke were just saying you never complain and you won't air your dirtyness, guess we were wrong! nice stinky laundry, love it. Alli hated her teeth being brushed for a looooong time too. love the timer pics. and your bedside is my bedside when we come visit, therefore, your stash is my stash!

Ashley Dawn said...

I really hate how you get all worked up for a vacation or a trip of some sort....and then you realize, oh, I'm still a mom. I still have to get up with kids, feed them 3 times a day and be consistent with lots of things. Thanks for airing your dirty laundry - although I'm not sure that it was that dirty....haha. Hope you live it up out there!

Alysha Sladek said...

hahahha i liked this post. sadie's
"room" totally cracked me up. wish i was coming out to visit! have a great day! (and it was so fun to chat with you today)

Jessica said...

I love Sadie's room too I Jackson slept in a walk in closet in one of our apartments and both my kids had to be held down for teeth brushing for about a year but it gets better and soon they are brushing their own. I love how you just roll with it ad pb&j has 3 food groups just add some milk and you are good! That is one thing I have learned thorough all of our traveling is life is still the same no matter where you are!!

Jaime said...

At least Sadie cries while you brush her teeth, so you can still get the toothbrush in there. Brody clamps his jaw shut and won't open it for anything. I am convinced his teeth are all going to rot and fall out.
That is a teeny tiny place you live in, at least you have the whole city to go out and stretch your legs!

Jess said...

I love Sadie's room. No wonder you spend all your time exploring. What an adventure it sounds like you guys are having so much fun.

Nancy said...

looks like you are having quite the adventure. I love sadie's room, and all the pictures. keep updating us.

Ashley Dawn said...

PS - I have also aired my dirty laundry....check out the chain reaction eh?

Candice said...

Wow, great way to manage what you eat...and not entering the kitchen after "closing time"....put a kid in there! Love it, GREAT post. Can you believe you are living there? What an experience. Take care & Keep safe.

Oler Family said...

I've got a great dirty laundry post coming. Did any one watch Oprah about being a mom this week? It was so fun to watch...definately worth watching the re-run this summer!

houseofhud said...

Love the tackle approach to getting Sadie dressed. I can't believe you got pictures of it!!! You are too funny!!! Thanks for the house pictures...I've been waiting for those!

Mercedes said...

Hi Susie,

I am not sure if you remember me from Edmonton, I was a good friend of Kendall (and I think you were too so I heard about you but our paths never really crossed).

Anyway I sort of randomly stumbled upon your blog (I know that sounds totally creepy!). I am so excited that you are in New York right now. I live in Boston, but I spent three years in Manhattan for graduate school and loved it.

I wanted to pass along a couple of my favorite NYC summer things to do and give you a couple of restaurant recommendations.

-every Saturday there is this guy who plays his guitar in central park. I know it sounds lame but he is amazing and he has a huge very loyal following. we would usually take a picnic and go hang out all afternoon. here is his website if you want directions etc
http://www.thatguitarman.com/

-in july they start doing free movies in the park. central park does some, so does bryant park. the best place to go in my opinion is riverside park. they show good movies for kids AND they give out free popcorn. if you google "river flicks" you should be able to find their 2009 schedule.

-if you are interested, on friday nights you can go see a poetry slam on the lower (and i mean LOWER) east side. it costs ten dollars to get in, but it is so worth it. the website is:
http://www.nuyorican.org/poetryslam.php

and a couple of food recommendations...because i think eating one's way through new york is the best way to see the city

-patsy's on columbus and 74th--order the penne a la vodka...you won't regret it

-the best diner in nyc as far as i am concerned is the brooklyn diner. they are on broadway and 57th. they make one heck of a hamburger, unbelievable pot pie and a noddle kugel that is so good it will make you cry.

-levian bakery cookies on broadway and 74

-pastis for a sort of ultra trendy eating experience in the meat packing district. you will probably need reservations but it isn't too expensive and you could take your little one there without a problem.

-pinkberry frozen yogurt. if you haven't tried it yet....do....they have locations all over the city.

i could probably go on and on here....but you are probably think i am a total nut. anyway enjoy nyc. there is so much to see and do.

one thing about nyc is that sometimes it can get a bit lonely--and the people at church can be a bit cold toward people who aren't planning on being in the city long-term.

if you want to meet other lds moms, i have a friend who lives there with her husband and 9 month old baby. she is a runner and an aspiring writer and an amazing cook. anyway she is really fun and if you like i'd be happy to hook you two up.

all the best,

Mercedes

(mercedeswhite@gmail.com)

(oh man i totally forgot about shopping...there are some places you MUST hit. if you want a couple of recommendations shot me an email).

The Bullknitter said...

You need a Princess Ariel electric toothbrush. Then let her brush her own teeth. Works for us anyway.