Friday, April 17, 2009

keeping up

I am having a hard time keeping the blog updated with our everyday happenings and outings. It may be because we are so busy having fun or it may be our computer here is ridiculously slow and I dread sitting here waiting to upload pictures.

It has really started to feel like spring here and I couldn't be happier about where we are at right now. Everywhere I look trees are in bloom, flowers are popping up, birds are chirping, we are shedding our coats. I swear the longer I am here the longer my list of things to see and do and eat is getting. Here is a quick recap of some of the things we have seen and done.
We went to Macy's in Herald Square, it is HUGE. Right now is their flower show sale. They had some amazing displays in the store and the windows, amazing. I didn't plan it, but I was also there on the 1 Day Sale Event. Oh my it was crazy there were just crowds of people and of course good deals too. I (or Sadie I should say) could not be bothered to wait in line to buy anything. After we left I felt like I needed a Macy's bag as it seemed like everyone else on the street was carrying one.



Sadie, taking time to enjoy the flowers in Herald Square.


A shot of the Empire State Building. Did I mention that I went to Ryan's work (The New York Times Building) where from the library you get a fabulous view of the city including the Empire State Building and in the distant the Statue of Liberty.


Grand Central Station and the Empire State Building

Grand Central -the concourse level


On the weekend we ventured to Brooklyn. It was so so different looking and smelling than life in Manhattan. The area we were in was a Russian community, so Ryan was chatting it up with some of the locals. We went to Coney Island.
I thought this was kind of funny, and sick. Just think about eating that many hot dogs... sick.

We saw the famous Cyclone roller coaster and the massive Ferris Wheel. I won't lie things looked pretty divey around here. It hasn't officially opened for the season yet, I sure hope things clean up.


Somethings look better in real life, I am pretty sure these look worse in real life. It was sad there was no good fair food to tempt me.


One of the real motivations to head down to Brooklyn was for the Aquarium. It was pretty awesome. They had some really cool animals to see. Sadie loved cruising around and peering in the windows, until the sharks peered right back at her then she backed away very quickly.

Had to pose on the walrus.


Have I mentioned how independent this little girl wants to be. Right now she often refuses/puts up a serious fight to go in the stroller, insists on walking and NOW rarely will hold my hand. On the other hand she still turns heads everywhere we go, waves to everyone like she is a celebrity, can melt even the gruffest of people, makes friends and smiles faster than anyone. I think she loves this city and the people.


Sadie & I with the penguin.


Watching the Sea Lion Show.

We really wanted to try some real authentic NY pizza. We heard about this place in Brooklyn and wanted to go. We were glad we did. It was sooo good.

Even though we had to line up and wait with all these people... still worth it. They say it can be a lot worse, people seriously line up down the street and around the corner.
New Yorkers love love their food. There are restaurants around every corner here.



View of Manhattan from Brooklyn


Brooklyn Bridge


We went to the story time at FAO Schwartz. After a while she preferred reading her own book in this little nook.


She loves playing here, she is surrounded by so many awesome toys and cool displays. She leaves pretty satisfied, and so do I we have yet to actually buy a toy from here.

St. Patrick's Cathedral, it is amazing inside and out. Everyday I am amazed by all the things I see, but since I am usually out with Sadie it is not always easy to take a ton of pictures, and when I do I'm usually snapping it and getting on my way as fast as possible. I also keep thinking to myself I'll take a picture later, cause we're here longer than a few weeks, right.


This is a really random shot. I was in our apartment one afternoon and heard some loud cheering outside. When I looked out I saw this little film crew doing a scene. You can't tell but it was a mini MJ dancing and doing the moonwalk, then he gets grabbed. I'm just sure it will be hitting the big screen.


This is how excited she gets to leave the apartment when she is sans stroller. Yes she thinks she needs to take her backpack and puppy everywhere.


A picnic in Central Park.


With the warmer weather here, all the street performers are starting to come out to entertain. It's very fun to see so many people out and about in the park.






Yesterday I won the lottery tickets for Shrek the musical. I was lucky enough to find a friend in the city that came out with me too. It was really fun. Now I am dying to go to some more.

2 comments:

Jacklyn said...

so fun talking to you the other day and I am loving all the pics!

Amanda Palmer said...

Looks like you are having a blast!!! Soak it up:)