Thursday, June 25, 2009

home sweet home

I wrote this post while we were still in New York, and then I never got around to posting it. I am posting it for my own records if nothing else.

I have been forcing these words out of my brain every time they creep in. "I can't wait to go home" When Ryan was chosen to come to work here in NYC we were both ecstatic. My mind was racing of all the things we could see and do. After being here I have realized I could live here for a long time & still not "do" it all. I also know that I could live here if I had to but it is a real lifestyle change when a kid is involved. I have loved it all here. There is so much in this city which makes it easy find many things to love and miss about this city. I LOVE NEW YORK. I hope I go back to visit again.


It seemed whenever I had a moment of hmm I miss..., like the next day someone was here to visit. So we haven't had a chance to really miss our families or friends. I suppose that is one of the perks when you live somewhere really cool.


Here are some of our stats of the last 3 months.

length of stay 13 weeks.

number of visitors 16

40 days with visitors

51 days with just us

4 times I walked the Brooklyn Bridge

9 museums I went to

number of times ate out, way more than I ate in.

2 number of times in a taxi

miles walked... unknown

13 baseball games Ryan went to.

10 Broadway shows I went to

15+ soothers gone missing

days spent in Central Park unknown


But there are a few things or should I say conveniences that I really miss.

- grocery shopping with a cart and a car to haul them home.

-cooking in a kitchen (I guess this is what it took for me, I REALLY want to cook now)

-SPACE!

- a house with separate bedrooms and a kitchen.

- good friends & family to hang out with.


Things I will miss...

-walking to Central Park, being in Central park, loving Central park

- I really did like walking everywhere (even if I sounded like I was complaining, I was mostly amazed at how much walking you could do here)

- loved just walking down the neighborhood streets and seeing all the interesting people.


Major Highlights

-Walking Brooklyn Bridge and eating Grimaldi's pizza in Brooklyn

-Central Park

-Broadway shows this is like a dream come true to see so many amazing shows. My favorite show was In the Heights.

-Ryan's 10 minute commute. ummm awesome. we will both miss this.

- how friendly Sadie was to everyone.

Things I learned while here

- I loved relying on my own 2 feet and not a car. It's a great feeling to get everywhere I need on foot.

-I don't need more 'stuff' just to fill my house. I totally liked being forced to live simple. Sadie hardly had any toys here, and she was just fine. I didn't have my whole closet here and i was fine too.

-Neither pedestrains or taxis follow traffic signs & rules, myself included.

-Ryan is quite possibly the best stroller navigator in all of New York.


-Ryan is one of the fastest sidewalk walkers. EVER.

-There is such a thing is as sidewalk rage.

- if you live there long enough you will get annoyed with tourists, but you will also be happy to tell them which way to Times Square or snap a picture for them.

-tourists are easy to spot.

- you forgot what wide open space look like.

-you could eat out at new restaurants forever and not even leave your neighborhood.

-there is always a parade or protest on the weekend


Things Sadie taught me


- peanut butter jam sandwiches are okay for lunch pretty much everyday.


-if I don't buy her more toys she will find other things to do, like pull out the pots and pans (okay), or climb up to get my make up down (not okay).


-the more soothers I buy, the more she looses.


-taking out the garbage is something to get excited about and so is walking down the hall to do the laundry.


-the best way to get around the city is with her in front and me behind pushing.

- if she is in Time Square she WILL spot the Toys R Us amongst the crowds and crowds of people.


- taking the subway with just me, Sadie & the stroller is possible but tricky.

Good-bye to the city that I have lived & loved for the last 3 months.


Farwell to the city of flashing lights, endless taxi's, towering skyscrapers, baseball games, broadway shows, crowded streets, endless restaurants,

A truly amazing city, with such a history.


I Do HEART NY.


I LOVE NEW YORK. I LOVE NEW YORK. I LOVE NEW YORK. I LOVE NEW YORK. I LOVE NEW YORK. I LOVE NEW YORK. I LOVE NEW YORK.

2 comments:

Christy and Brett Bevans said...

What a crazy but amazing experience. Sadie will grow up being part New Yorker.

Mercedes said...

I loved this! I totally feel the same way about NYC. I cracked up when you mentioned sidewalk rage--I have a problem with it!

Have a great summer!